It’s no secret that mobile phones are a huge part of all our lives. We use them to communicate with our loved ones, manage our daily schedule, get updates from around the world, and, of course, to keep us entertained during bathroom breaks.
So to celebrate the gadgets that we’ve come to depend on so dearly, here are 10 mobile phone facts that you probably didn’t know. Some are a tad weird, others hard to believe, but we bet you’ll be sharing them with your mates over WhatsApp.
1) The first mobile phone cost about £2500
If you think that mobile phones are a 21st Century gadget, think again. In fact, the first mobile device was sold in the US back in 1983. It was developed by a man named Martin Cooper (pictured above), and, unsurprisingly, this new piece of technology was anything but cheap… It cost around $4,000 (or £2,500). Yikes.
2) Mobile phones are dirtier than toilet handles
Your smartphone goes just about everywhere with you… which means that it picks up a whole load of germs along the way. A used smartphone carries around 18 times more ‘potentially harmful’ types of bacteria than a toilet seat.
So, remember to clean your mobile phone regularly and safely!
3) Your mobile is more powerful than a spaceship
Never underestimate the power locked inside your modern-day smartphone. It’s incredible. The average phone now has more computing power than the computers used for the Apollo 11 moon landing, according to info from NASA.
4) Back in 2012, Apple sold 340,000 iPhones per day
You already knew that iPhone is super popular, but did you know this little fact? Back in 2012, the iPhone sales were at a serious high. Apple sold around 340,000 smartphones per day… that adds up to 125 million phones in that year.
5) Scientists can charge phones using urine
It might sound a little gross, but it’s true! Scientists down in Bristol have developed a way of charging phones using urine, according to the BBC. Researchers believe that the future of charging could involve using ‘smart toilets’ to gain and store energy.
6) We check our mobiles around 110 times a day
How often do you check your smartphone? Figures from a screen lock app show that the average person unlocks their phone around 110 times each day. What’s more, the ‘peak’ unlocking time happens between 5pm and 8pm!
7) The fear of being without your phone is real
Ever feared being phone-less or losing signal for a significant period of time? You’re not alone. This phenomenon actually has a name – nomofobia. The term is a combination of the phrase ‘no mobile phobia’ and… let’s face it… we’ve all been there.
8) More people have mobiles than toilets globally
Mobile phones are essential… but are they more essential than, say, a toilet? There are more people in the world that have a mobile phone than have a toilet. Let that sink in. While awesome tech is obviously important, it shouldn’t come before world sanitation.
9) Nearly half of smartphone users ‘couldn’t live without’ them
Could you go a day without your phone? How about a lifetime? A massive 46% of smartphone users say that they ‘couldn’t live without’ the device, according to Pew Research. That’s almost half of the world’s users.
10) A huge 99% of malware is targeted at Android phones
There’s good news for iPhone users! If you’re worried about malware, here’s a fact that you need to know. A huge 99% of malware targets Android phones and device operating systems, according to details from F-Secure. Yikes.
Buy: ( Note: CLick on the text to buy )
- Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit System Builder OEM
- JBL C115 TWs wireless headphones
- HP 15 (2021) Thin & Light Ryzen 5 3500U Laptop
- Poco X3 Pro(Graphite Black, 6GB RAM, 128GB Storage)
- Vivo V17 (Midnight Ocean, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)
Join us on YouTube :
More to read :